A collaboration of AKV|St. Joost MFA with artists on the spot in Barcelona, Spain. Period: 6-15 April, 2008 Curator: Carlijn Diesfeldt
AKV/ St. Joost tutors: Dyane Donck, Erik Hagoort, Bas van den Hurk, George Korsmit, Koen Delaere.
La Pinta collective tutors: Maribel Perpiñá, Leandra Vieira
Partner institution: La Pinta is a Barcelona collective of curators and artists, developing projects of research, interaction, and dialogue, aiming to bring together art and new audiences. The collective tries to build up links between training and the professional sphere by means of our training courses.
BUT IF NOT, NOT was a collaboration with artists from artist-run-spaces in Barcelona. The aim was to explore one another’s expectations of the city, without having to focus on a result. Artists’ initiatives provided studio base stations for the duo’s, groups or individuals to work.
Margot van Ham, a Dutch artist living in Barcelona, filmed the process.
The collaboration started with a speed-dating event at Centre d’Art Santa Mònica, resulting in the formation of duo’s and small groups:
- Miquel Garcia & Ive Leemans & Toni van Tiel
- Tjasa Kancler & Ronald Saeijs
- D Forma & Barbara Vandecauter
- Carlos González & Ieke Trinks
- Ana Alvarez Errecalde & Ilse van der Laan
- Alicia Ibarra & Eliza Proszczuk
- Miguel Ángel Pascual & Babette Kleijn
- Eline Schuurman & Kim Ly
- Amber Bijl & Olivia Kaufman
- Lichun Tseng & Mix Amylo
- Maribel Perpiñá & Jimini Hignett
- The host organizations offered for ten days studio spaces, from where the duo’s and groups explored the city.
The hosts were:
- Centre d’Art Santa Mònica
Results, including the first footage of the film by Margot van Ham, were shown during a public presentation at Centre d’Art Santa Mònica and during an open studio tour in Hangar, Metafora, and Piramidon.
La Pinta organized a visiting program:
- meeting and discussion at MACBA Study Center.
- City Mine(d), an international network of individuals and collectives involved with city and local action, currently (2013) residing in London and Brussels. In Barcelona City Mine(d) was involved in supporting locals of Barcelona city center in influencing processes of gentrification.
The completed documentary BUT IF NOT, NOT, directed by Margot Van Ham, was shown on June 6, 2008, in Centre d’Art Santa Mònica. The documentary showed the process of the interaction between artists of MFA AKV | St. Joost and their colleagues from Barcelona.